New Applicant Scholarship Information
Welcome to the New Scholarship Application Process 2017!
APPLICATIONS OPEN FROM DECEMBER 16 2016 UNTIL APRIL 14th 2017
LAWA Youth Scholarships are financial awards that support female and male students seeking to attend and complete bachelor and certificate degrees.
LAWA Youth Scholarships are given one time per year to eligible Latino students attending accredited colleges or universities of their choice.
LAWA Youth Scholarships are renewable for up to three consecutive academic years after the first year.
LAWA Youth Scholarships are competitive and the selection criterion is based on student’s financial need, academic merit, and community involvement.
Youth scholarships will range from $1,000 and above for a two-year program; and $2,000 and above for a four-year program, depending on tuition and related costs.
WHO CAN APPLY
Any Latin American immigrant, first or second generation Latino student who is graduating from a high school located in Mecklenburg, Concord/Cabarrus, Gaston, South Iredell/Mooresville and Union counties in the state of North Carolina, and who has been accepted to any accredited college or university to attend as a full-time student for the entire academic year.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the 2017 New Youth Scholarship Application below online. Some documents may be sent via postal or electronic mail.
- Must be first or second generation Latino student
- Must be a male or female high school graduate Class of 2017 whose home address is located in the state of North Carolina within the following counties: Mecklenburg, Concord/Cabarrus, Gaston, South Iredell/Mooresville and Union.
- Must have an un-weighted grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher
- Must send two (2) letters of recommendation from either two teachers, or one teacher and one counselor.
- Must send one (1) additional letter of recommendation (not from a teacher or a counselor) describing volunteer or community related activities that support the application.
- Must send a personal letter (typed, double spaced, not to exceed 2 pages) explaining:
a) Career goals and plans
b) Personal, community and academic interests;
c) Academic achievements;
d) Reasons for applying for the scholarship and if applicable;
e) Any obstacles overcome during school years.
- Must be available for a personal interview, if requested.
TIPS BEFORE COMPLETING APPLICATION
- Please upload all required documents. Documents should be scanned from original copies and saved as PDF files.
- Gather all required documents before starting the application
- Start as early as possible
- Please save all documents sent in a folder on your computer.